US News

San Diego Mosque Shooting: Three Killed, Two Teenage Suspects Dead in Apparent Hate Crime

The attack occurred at approximately 11:43 a.m. at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the Clairemont neighborhood, the largest mosque in San Diego County.

Tommy FlynnTommy Flynn
San Diego Mosque Shooting: Three Killed, Two Teenage Suspects Dead in Apparent Hate Crime

SAN DIEGO — Three men were shot and killed outside the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday morning in what authorities are investigating as a hate crime. Two teenage suspects were later found dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds in a vehicle nearby.

The attack occurred at approximately 11:43 a.m. at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the Clairemont neighborhood, the largest mosque in San Diego County. The center includes a school that was in session at the time, but all children inside were safely evacuated with no injuries reported.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said officers arrived within four minutes of the initial 911 call. Upon arrival, they found three deceased male victims outside the building. A mosque security guard was among those killed and was credited with heroic actions that likely prevented a larger tragedy inside the facility.

A short time later, gunfire was reported a few blocks away where a landscaper was shot at but not injured. The two suspects — identified as 17-year-old Cain Clark and an 18-year-old male — were found dead in a vehicle stopped in the middle of a nearby street. Both died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. No officers fired shots during the incident.

Timeline

  • Earlier that morning — Clark’s mother called police to report her son missing along with her car and three firearms. She described him as suicidal and said he was with another person, both dressed in camouflage.
  • 11:43 a.m. — First reports of an active shooter at the Islamic Center.
  • Within 4 minutes — Officers on scene, discovering the three victims.
  • Shortly after — Additional gunfire reported blocks away targeting a landscaper.
  • By 1:07 p.m. — Police declared the threat neutralized.

The suspects left behind anti-Islamic writings and other materials that led authorities to classify the attack as a potential hate crime. The FBI is assisting in the investigation.

The Islamic Center’s director, Imam Taha Hassane, condemned the attack as “extremely outrageous” and noted the center had hosted interfaith groups earlier that day. No motive has been officially confirmed beyond the ongoing hate crime probe, and authorities said there is no ongoing threat to the public.

The victims have not yet been publicly identified pending family notifications. The case remains under active investigation.

Join the Team

Are you trying to break into news writing but struggling to get published at major outlets? At RWT News, we're always looking for talented, motivated writers who share our commitment to straightforward, factual conservative journalism. If you believe in honest reporting and want real experience and bylines, we'd love to hear from you.

Visit our Join the Team page to learn more and contact us directly.

You May Also Like