Federal Agents Seize Swalwell’s Devices and Search Home in Expanding Sexual Misconduct Probe
Federal agents seized former Rep. Eric Swalwell’s iPhone and MacBook at San Francisco Airport and searched his D.C. home over the weekend as part of an expanding federal probe into multiple sexual assault allegations.

Federal agents seized electronic devices from former Rep. Eric Swalwell at San Francisco International Airport on Saturday and executed a search warrant at his Washington, D.C., home the following day as part of a criminal investigation into multiple allegations of sexual assault and misconduct.
According to sources familiar with the matter and court records, agents approached Swalwell upon his arrival in California and took possession of his iPhone, a MacBook Pro, and related items under a search warrant. The next day they searched his D.C. residence. The actions mark a significant escalation in a federal probe that sources say is examining potential violations of civil rights statutes, including provisions that make it a crime for a person acting under color of law to willfully deprive another of constitutional rights.
The investigation stems from allegations that first surfaced publicly in April. The San Francisco Chronicle and CNN reported accounts from multiple women, including a former staffer who said Swalwell sexually assaulted her on more than one occasion, at least once when she was too intoxicated to consent. Another woman, Lonna Drewes, alleged that Swalwell drugged and raped her at a Southern California hotel in 2018. Additional women described receiving unsolicited explicit messages or nude photographs. Four of the women have confirmed to reporters that the FBI has contacted them in connection with the current inquiry.
Swalwell, a seven-term California Democrat who represented Bay Area districts, resigned from the House in April and withdrew from the California gubernatorial race shortly after the allegations became public. He has denied the claims of sexual assault and nonconsensual conduct, with his attorney describing them as false and fabricated while acknowledging that Swalwell engaged in extramarital contact with women. In his resignation statement, he apologized for “mistakes in judgment” but said he would fight the most serious accusations.
Local authorities, including the Manhattan District Attorney’s office and the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, also opened investigations after the April reports. The House Ethics Committee launched its own review before Swalwell left office. The weekend’s federal actions indicate that the Justice Department is actively gathering digital evidence that could corroborate or refute the accounts.
Swalwell rose to national prominence as a sharp critic of President Donald Trump, serving on the House Intelligence and Judiciary committees and acting as an impeachment manager after the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot. He previously faced scrutiny over contacts with a suspected Chinese intelligence operative, Christine Fang, during his early campaigns; he cut off contact after being briefed by the FBI and no charges resulted from that matter. A special election later filled the remainder of his congressional term.
Join the Team
Are you trying to break into news writing but struggling to get published at major outlets? At RWT News, we're always looking for talented, motivated writers who share our commitment to straightforward, factual conservative journalism. If you believe in honest reporting and want real experience and bylines, we'd love to hear from you.
Visit our Join the Team page to learn more and contact us directly.
